Sunday, December 9, 2012

Tolkien Tag {blog part day #2}

This is a tag/question list/thingy that Nessima over at Arda Nessimava has created for the Unexpected Blog Party which I am now a part of (as you can see in the sidebar). I am starting late so I must catch up on it....if I'm not too lazy. So here we go!

1. How did you first hear about LOTR & The Hobbit?
This may sound very odd, but I first heard about LOTR, and actually knew it, at my church. Yes, my church is obsessed with LOTR. I was around eight years old and my family finally sat down with the movie and BAM! I was hooked. My friends and I would band together and play LOTR after church as our parents talked (for forever!) The real first time I was immersed in LOTR and The Hobbit, was as a very young kid. My mother would get books on tape to listen to in the car and I now very distinctly remember the part where Glorfindel rescues the Fellowship in The Fellowship of the Ring.

2. How many times have you read LOTR/The Hobbit? Or have you yet to read it at all?
Well. I have read both once all the way through maybe two years ago. But now (as you can see in my Goals post) I want to read both every year from now on. So I have read the Fellowship of the Ring twice and I'm working on the Hobbit now. They always make me so happy!!!

3. Would you name your child after a character from it?
Of course, what true Tolkien fan wouldn't. I would probably name a child Eowyn, because she is most definitely my favorite character. I may also name a child Nienor, a most tragic character, from The Children of Hurin.  And Faramir is also at the top of my list.

via liga~marta Deviantart

via liga~marta Deviantart

4. What are your thoughts on Tom Bombadil? Do you think he should have been in the movie?
Hm... my thoughts? Well, his chapter in the book is almost solely poetry, so I can see why the left him out. And he was never my favorite, except his house is wonderful! I'm glad the left him out, but I'm also glad they gave some of his lines to Treebeard.

5. Do you have a favourite piece of poetry from any of Tolkien's books?
Um, I don't remember much of the poetry but The Misty Mountains Cold and Lament for Eorl the Young.

6. Have you read any of Tolkien's work besides LOTR and/or The Hobbit?
Yes, and I love them!!! I've read the Children of Hurin and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun. I especially loved the Children of Hurin with the tragic Turin Turambar and the despairing Nienor.

Dragon's Curse - second sketch
via John Howe

7. Can you write in the Tengwar?
Alas, I must say that I have not the skill. (yet)

8. Were you at all disappointed that Prince Imrahil wasn't in the movie?
I didn't really mind. I know he played an important role but still....

9. What would happen if you and Denethor were put face to face?
I'd just stare at him and make him feel as uncomfortable as possible. Then, when he opens his mouth to say something maybe I shall head-butt him or something... Food for thought.

10. Would you rather reside in Edoras or Minas Tirith?
Rant: ROHAN!!!! Seriously, who wouldn't want to live in a culture where horses are basically the main thing in your life. Plus, the Anglo-Saxon and Nordic vibe Tolkien and WETA placed in their culture. I love the Celtic knots and the golds, greens, and reds of their tapestries. And some of my favorite characters are from Edoras: Eowyn, Eomer, and Theoden.

11. What think you of Éomer's armour?
More ranting: Oh my goodness! I absolutely, positively, irrevocably am in love with Eomer's armour. Plus, if you look up from the armour you see that lovely face. The armour certainly shows his rank and stature as a captain of the Rohirrim.

12. What do you think of Boromir?
I absolutely loved his character development. I mean, who could get pierced by that many arrows and still stand and fight. Boromir! I loved his death ceremony. When I die, I want to get pushed off a big waterfall.

13. Which is your favourite LOTR couple: Sam & Rosie, Aragorn & Arwen, or Faramir & Éowyn?
By far Faramir and Eowyn. Two of my favorite characters.

via RickyLilly Deviantart

14. Did you shed any tears when Thorin died?
Not many. I was very sad and slightly mad, but I trusted Tolkien on that one.

15. Which is most terrifying of the following: orcs nabbing you in your sleep, giant spiders crawling out of dark tunnels and forests, Nazgul standing right over where you're hiding, or a ghost army that doesn't like you very much?
Giant spiders. I know you're saying, but Kate, Nazguls are the living dead, they have no faces, how are you not scared  of them?! I probably would be scared of them if I were near them, but at this moment a giant spiders would give me a heart attack.

The Hobbit 3D concept art


16. How well would you enjoy life as a hobbit? Would it be preferable to being something like, say, an elf? Or a Ranger?
I would very much enjoy the life of a hobbit. It would suit me well. Plus, I'm short! Food is also very important to me. I would of course love to be an elf. But let's look at the big con: THEY ALL LEFT MIDDLE-EARTH!!! I would die after the first week of being a Ranger, enough said.


On the subject of the rest of the Things I Like in December: I will do more of that later. I'm sorry they have been delayed.

2 comments:

Thank you ever so much for the message! Remember: keep it positive and uplifting.